Tuesday 14 May 2013

VHS Or Beta: 25th October 2011


This was the first interview I had ever done.. Its a simple Q&A and I have achieved so much since then.. 


Chris Pfunder of VHS or Beta sat down with Tone Deaf to talk about the new album, relocating to Brooklyn, touring and much more. Craig introduces himself, naturally…
CP: My name is Craig Pfunder. I am one of the two remaining founding members of VHS or Beta. I sing, play guitar and write and produce with Mark, who is the other last remaining member.
TD: What can listeners expect from Diamonds And Death?
CP: I guess I can only compare it to the other records. It is a record full of longer compositions. It strayed away from the formula of guitar-based dance rock. It is the first record that Mark and I wrote together. Which kind of marks a significant change in how the processes happened; it’s way more electronic, more of a record that we have been wanting to make for a long time. We just never got around to making it, partly because there were so many cooks in the kitchen. So I think we are really excited about the progress of this particular record.
TD: You moved to Brooklyn before producing this album. Do you feel that strongly influenced the sound?
CP: I mean I think it would be impossible for it not to have. I feel like that we always really been influenced by our situation. Back when we were first starting the band our surroundings and our struggle with certain things in the music scene really helped shape the music and the process. I think, inevitably, the fact that we wrote this record the way we did in a studio in the isolated part of Brooklyn, the surrounding area clubs and the music that we were exposed to, yeah, it certainly influenced it. I don’t think it really created this record though. We would of found this record if it had not been for New York. [But] I definitely think it changed some of the tone and some of the mood.


The rest can be found at http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/features/interviews/99104/vhs-or-beta.htm. This was heavily edited by the lovely Melanie Lewis. I owe so much to her and the fact she believed in me.


No comments:

Post a Comment